Monday, March 24, 2014

Tutorial- Chocolate embellished cupcakes

This year for my little lady's birthday party I decided to go with cupcakes.  Her birthday is a few days before Valentine's day (which is one of my favorite holidays) and since I love extending this holiday I decided to go with a red, pink, white and heart shaped theme.  I wanted to do something simple, unique and elegant. Its hard sometimes to do it all especially when cupcakes are involved but I thought hey lets give it a try.  The idea of using melted chocolate to create hearts popped into my head.  At first I tried to melt re chocolate and cut it with metal cookies cutters.  Then I put some squiggles on top with pink.  It looked cute but it wasn't really what I was going for.  Then I decided I would create hearts as if it was piping.  It was awesome!  It really worked out exactly how I pictured it would!!  I love them.  This will not be the last time I use chocolate to create edible shapes.  Wanna give it a try?  Alright!!



First:  I melted my chocolate in a microwave safe bowl.  First put it in for 30 seconds then stir, continue doing this until the chocolate is completely melted- or until there are no more than 1 or 2 bumps left 0 you don't want to do too much or you will burn the chocolate- YUCK!
*While this is in the microwave- lay out some wax paper.


Yum!!

Next: I put the melted chocolate into a small ziplock baggie and cut one corner.  I cut it very slightly so the hole wasn't too big.  Make the hole the width that you want your lines.

Next: I began drawing little hearts with my baggie on the wax paper.  I probably made about 100 hearts.  Way more than I needed but it took me a while to get the hang of it and figure out what I wanted them to look like.

Finally: Let the hearts dry and then place them on the cake or cupcakes or whatever you plan on putting them on.

Ideas:
I made a bunch of little dots the same size.  This might be fun to do a polkadot cake and use it instead of fondant.
You could write someones name right on the cake with chocolate.
You could do stars, squares, dots, peace signs- whatever you want.  SO MANY OPTIONS!

These cupcakes were so fast and so easy but got SO MANY COMPLIMENTS! 

Go create your own!



1 comment:

  1. So cute! We made some of these with white chocolate snowflakes on top. They are very fun.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...