I am always looking for great products that help accomodate students with special needs, weather I am using them on my own consulting case or recommending them to teachers and parents I am always on the hunt. With the new school year starting up I figured I would share a few of my favorites and some new finds too. I hope that you will find something to assist your students and make your classroom function smoothly. You can get all of these things on amazon- BONUS! See why I love them below!(This post contains affiliate links)
1. Time Timer:This is my ultimate favorite and the product I recommend most to parents and teachers alike. This timer is a great way to allow students to visualize and understand time even if their cognitive level is relatively low. Students will watch the time pass as they complete a task. When the red is gone the time is up. I have used this during "thinking time" or free time and it has eliminated many difficult behaviors. This is an absolute must have!
2.Learning Resources Calendar and Weather Pocket Chart:I love this calendar, I love the setup of it and all of the necessary pieces that are here. I not only reccomend this for a classroom but I also used it in my own home to help my children understand days and months and identify when special activities were happening.
3. Do A Dot Art:I continue to have lots of students who struggle with do a dot handwriting and I am always trying to find new ways to help them use their fine motor skills without the stress of writing. These do a dots are chunky and fun. Students will love creating artwork and even doing academic worksheets (these are all over the internet) using just these!
4. Noise Reducing Headphones:there are many different versions of these headphones but the bottom line is that some students need them to function. Weather it be for focusing or to avoid adverse sensory input these headphones may be just want your student needs to succeed in your classroom.
5. Mind Sparks Foam Dry Erase Blocks:these dry erase blocks are amazing. There are so many ways to use them. It would be a great way to practice sight words, work on addition facts, or even making choices for breaks or sensory options. The best thing about these blocks is that just by buying one set you can open up so many different avenues.
6.Reusable Dry Erase Pockets:I love these dry erase worksheet pockets. There is nothing better than being able to use the exact same worksheet for multiple students or for the same student over multiple days. These are a must have for any special education classroom.
7. Tangle Jr. Original Fidget Toy:I was at a conference and the speaker was a 40 year old woman who had recently been diagnosed with autism - having gone until that point without a diagnosis this allowed her a better understanding of her needs and how to address them. She highly reccomends this fidget for students on the spectrum. In fact during the conference she was using one to help her stay on track and focused.
Liquid Timer:this thing calms me down! Seriously you may have to buy one for yourself.This item works well to track time or calm an upset individual. It is colorful and fun and gives students something neutral to focus on when things become too over stimulating or difficult to manage.
I hope you can find something here that will help in your classroom. I have enjoyed using them and have found them extrememly beneficial for my students.